For this recipe, you only need 4 ingredients. Yes, 4! You can make the mixture easily in 5 minutes, and with only 20 minutes maximum needed in the oven, these treats can be ready in under half an hour. Speedy, simple baking!
- 300g oats
- 3 tablespoons of honey (or golden syrup)
- 125g margarine or baking spread
- 125g brown sugar (caster sugar will also be fine)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade, then line a baking dish with some baking parchment.
2. Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine. If you have a bit more time, a method which supposedly has better results is to melt the margarine, honey and sugar in a pan on a low heat, then stir in the oats. Either way is fine.
3. Tip the mixture into a baking dish and press down with the back of a spoon, particularly into the corners, until it is all tightly packed in and firm.
4. Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for around 20 minutes tops. It might be easier to bake for 15 minutes, check every minute or so and take it out when it looks a beautiful golden brown colour on top.
5. Place the dish on a wire rack and leave the mixture to cool. This is so important- I find that if I try to cut the flapjacks too soon they crumble and fall apart. When the mixture is cooled, cut into squares; I managed about 14 from this mixture but it depends how big or small you want them.
While most turned out fine, a couple of the flapjacks crumbled (my fault for desperately trying to get them out of the dish). However, I turned the oats which didn't quite make it to flapjack status as a lovely, crunchy granola-type topping for my yoghurt! So don't despair if you have some loose oats left over!
These are a fabulous snack, and although aren't particularly healthy, make for a yummy treat. It's also a great recipe to make with kids this summer as it is so simple!
What do you think of this recipe?